WHAT IS HOME HOSTING?
Home hosts play a critical role in the overall experience of international guests. Hosting a visitor means sharing your home, your country, and local traditions/ culture with a guest from another country.
5 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT HOME HOSTING
- There is no typical host family. Hosting opportunities are open to families of all sizes and backgrounds, even individuals and families without children. The most important requirement is that you are excited about helping visitors feel welcome to the U.S. and Texas.
- The IVP offers community service hours to high school and college students that are involved in our home hosting programs.
- The time commitment to host is typically 1-3 weeks. We plan activities during the workday and invite hosts to join the group at cultural events in the evenings and/or weekends.
- IVP provides support during the entire program, including cultural orientations, help with transportation, and emergency assistance.
- Hosting is fun. Families and visitors alike have a great time learning together. You provide the room and meals at the home, and they provide the memories!
HOW TO HOST
Complete our Home Host Application to submit your interest in hosting during one of our upcoming programs. Our staff will then follow up to discuss specific hosting requirements, which vary by program. Please note: Hosting a student on a youth program will require each individual over the age of 18 to complete a background check.
Questions? Please contact Chelsea Marshall, IVP Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Doug Fielder, Volunteer Coordinator, at email@example.com.