On-Campus and Off-Campus Events
In working with the Council's International Visitor Program and speakers from our events, we are proud to bring visiting professionals, diplomats, authors, and politicians to area high schools to speak to large groups of students at no cost.
We also invite North Texas high school students and teachers to attend our speaker events at area venues at no cost. Meals are included with breakfast and lunch events. Student briefings allow students to dialogue with the visiting speaker to ask relevant questions.
Contact Amy Miller at WAC to set up a free speaker at firstname.lastname@example.org. We ask that at least 50+ students are present and prepared with questions. Please explain expected behavior to students and have enough teachers present to handle any issues that arise.
We will NOT ask our speakers to complete background checks. Please do not ask to host a speaker if this is a requirement. Thank you.
On-Campus Event Highlights
- Fall 2014- Steve Cotton, served with three Members of Congress in Washington, D.C. as a senior Legislative Assistant, Special Assistant, and Press Secretary/Communications Director, spoke to 1100 students at the YMCA Youth & Government Conference (Sachse High School)
- Spring 2014- Buck Revell, Former Deputy Director of the FBI, speaks to 200 students at Lewisville HS
- Fall 2013- Videoconference with Dr. Sabato about JFK and the 50th Anniversary with schools around Texas and world
- Spring 2013- Rais Bhuiyan spoke to eight DFW schools about his 9/11 experience and Islam
- Jan. 17, 2013- Ambassador Ryan Crocker visited Parish Episcopal and spoke to over a hundred students
- December 14, 2012- Al Jazeera Washington Bureau Chief visited North Hills Prep and Central Junior HS in HEB ISD
- November 13, 2012- Dr. Bob McLelland (operated on JFK and Oswald) visited Corsicana HS and spoke to 100 students
- March 23, 2012 - Vijay Vaitheeswaran visited Garland HS and spoke to 75 students
- March 20-21, 2012 - US Army War College visits to DFW schools and spoke to 150 students
- January 17, 2012 - William Shawcross visited St. Marks and Flower Mound HS and spoke to 150 students
- November 16, 2011 - Gillian Sorenson visited Williams Prep and spoke to 50 students
Off-Campus Event Highlights
- Fareed Zakaria speaks to 100 teachers and students from 10 schools
- Jeb Bush- 20 students from two DFW schools
- The Crew of Plastiki and 450 students from 17 DFW schools
- General Stanley McChrystal- 20 students from 3 schools
- Dr. Henry Kissinger- 40 students from 7 DFW schools
- Former Secretaries of State Condoleezza Rice and James Baker- 60 students from 10 high schools around North Texas
- Former National Security Advisor Stephen Hadley- 90 students from four North Texas schools
- Parag Khanna – 20 students from two schools in North Texas